Coastal RSM Plan Development, San Francisco Open Coast Littoral Cell
The San Francisco Open Coast Coastal RSM Plan, which covers the coastal region from the Golden Gate to Pedro Point in Pacifica, is currently under development. The plan’s objective is to assist coastal government entities, municipalities, stakeholders, and communities develop strategies for beneficial reuse of sediments to address coastal erosion and storm damage. The Plan will provide sufficient information for local and regional coastal decision makers to develop policies and execute management sub-plans for the future vitality of beaches and shoreline areas throughout the littoral cell. Tasks to be completed as part of Plan preparation include:
- Stakeholder outreach and coordination through a Public Outreach Program and Stakeholder Advisory Group to ensure that local issues are addressed,
- Collection of pertinent data related to
- physical processes (e.g., waves and currents)
- economic impacts (e.g., tourism, beach use, potential funding streams)
- sediments (e.g., types, potential sources, needs, locations, quantities, dredging statistics)
- environmental concerns (e.g., critical species and habitats),
- Preparation and compilation of spatial layers to allow Inclusion of this data into CSMW’s GIS database for visualization and ease of use by coastal decision makers,
- Identification of and recommendations for techniques to address governance issues related to Plan implementation, and
- Incorporation of strategies into a Coastal RSM Plan specific to the San Francisco and San Mateo coastlines
The San Francisco Littoral Cell Coastal RSM Plan will culminate in the drafting and release of a final Plan by the end of 2013. A Public Review draft should be available in the September-October 2013 time frame.
The CSMW’s regional partner for the Coastal RSM Plan, the Association of Bay Area Governments’ San Francisco Estuary Partnership (contact: Athena Honore), has been tasked with the outreach and governance sections of Plan development, thereby ensuring that the Plan adequately reflects regional needs. Several stakeholder and public meetings have occurred to obtain local agency and public input and more will occur to ensure that all issues have been covered. A kickoff Stakeholder Advisory Group meeting was held in San Francisco on March 28, 2011, with a follow-up meeting in Daly City on June 6, 2012. Public meetings were held in San Francisco and Pacifica on July 12 and 19, 2012, respectively. Additional Stakeholder Advisory Group and Public meetings were held in Pacifica on November 14, 2012 to discuss progress to date. Information presented at the meetings and transcripts of the November 14, 2012 public comments are available here and through links to your right.
Please check back often as ongoing activities and Plan developments will periodically be posted on this website.