Division jurisdiction is limited to activities defined by the Harbors and Navigation Code, Section 701. Before filling out a complaint form, please read Section 701 of the Code:
701. Definitions. Unless the context otherwise requires, the following definitions shall govern the construction of this article:
- (a) "Broker" means a person who, except as otherwise excluded by Section 710, for compensation or in expectation of compensation, does, or negotiates to do, one or more of the following acts for another or others:
- (1) Sells or offers to sell, buys or offers to buy, solicits or obtains listings of, or negotiates the purchase, sale, or exchange of yachts, and who does not own those yachts.
- (2) Leases or rents, offers to lease or rent, places for rent, solicits a listing of a yacht for rent, or negotiates the purchase, sale, or exchange of a lease on a yacht, for a rental or lease period of more than 90 consecutive days to any one person or business during any 12-month period, and who does not own that yacht.
- (b) "Salesman" refers to a natural person who, except as otherwise excluded by Section 710, for compensation or in expectation of compensation, is employed by a licensed broker to do one or more of the acts set forth in subdivision (a). The term includes "saleswoman" and "salesperson."
- (c) "Yacht" or "ship" refers to any vessel 16 feet or more in length and under 300 gross tons used for navigating in water and designed to be propelled by machinery or sail.
The form includes instructions for completing it. Please carefully read and follow the instructions.