Soaps from boat washing, sinks and showers are more harmful that those at home because they have not been treated in a sanitary sewer before being discharged overboard.
WHAT CAN BOATERS DO TO REDUCE GRAY WATER DISCHARGE?
- Soaps from boat sinks, showers, and dishwashers are more harmful than those at home because they do not get treated in a sanitary sewer system when discharged from your boat. Do as much cleaning at shoreside facilities as possible.
- Choose phosphate-free biodegradable soaps.
- Use more “elbow grease” and as little cleaning product as possible.
- Rinse and scrub your boat with fresh water after each trip.
- Use tarps or canvas boat covers to keep boat clean between trips and reduce the amount of cleaning you need to do.
Be a clean & green boater
| Top 10 Boating Tips
| Marina Oil/Sewage Services
| Dockwalkers' Program